Sunday, June 1, 2014

Tech should engage ( not enterain) students reflections on @collivan97 's post #edtech

This was so huge for me that it edits my belief statement. (Bird walk I have a living document I call my belief statement. It is focuses on my Core beliefs and short explanation of them.) This morning I read Five Things I Want Teachers to Know About Edtech by Collin Sullivan @collivan97. #3 is engage vs. entertain. This was the huge part for me. Technology must promote student engagement. Engagement is the doorway to student learning. Without that engagement, student do not master the information to turn that information into knowledge.
Engagement should the litmus test for if technology should be used. This pulls together so many principals that have ran true for me such as "we should not use tech for tech sake". From my belief statement:

Innovation is one of my core values because we must find creative ways to meet the challenges of the future. Many of today’s student will have jobs that do not exist today. My own virtual learning mentor job did not exist even five years ago. Innovation does include embracing technology but that should be tempered with evaluation. We should not impose “tech for tech sake”. Technology is a tool that should support student learning not impede it. I am an early adopter, techie at heart, and geek but I have my feet on the ground. The litmus test for using technology should engagement verses entertainment. While "this is really cool" is exciting, it can turn into a road block for learning. If applying technology to a lesson increases student engagement then it should be used.

added today.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment