Monday, January 5, 2015

Facing the Truth with Google Inbox #gafe @googledevs

I have recently been given an invite to inbox. There are not that hard to get. You can request one at http://www.google.com/inbox/ or if you know some one that it - they can invite you. It's the "and they tell two friends" roll out. (See old cultural reference that follows. Use YouTube if you are too young)


So far it's an adjustment but a truer use of email. Emails are task or informational. They all have a purpose at least to the person sending it. Inbox handles those task messages very well. Inbox bundles your incoming messages much like Gmail does with social and promotional tabs. But there are more bundles then tabs. It bundles the type of messages. Personally the promotional message, I only read if I am looking for something from that store. It's nice to have they in their own bundle and out of the way. I feel like I get so much less junk email.

When a message comes in, you can

  • pin it - to  keep it in your inbox. 
  • Plan it by setting a reminder. Cool note reminders have actions attached to them such as call Mom 
  • Procrastinate it by setting a snooze. Snooze can be time or date. Cool thing, they can be location based too. 

Things I like

  • The Snooze by location. 
  • The "do this always" option when I move something from a sender to a different bundle. 
  • I can still access the same account with Gmail and everything looks the same. 
  • The iOS app on my iphone. 

Inbox visual layout is more like Google+ then Gmail. The menu is a left side fly out. Help is way at the bottom of the menu. Setting

From the Help: Some features work just the same in Gmail and Inbox, like archive and done. For some other Gmail actions, there's an Inbox feature that does something similar, but works a bit differently.
Common actions that are the same
GmailInbox
ArchiveDone Mark done
DeleteMove to Trash Move to
Report spamMove to Spam Move to
ComposeCompose 
Common actions that are similar
GmailInbox
StarPin Pin
Read later (mark as unread)Snooze Snooze
Email yourselfCreate a reminder 
Organize with inbox categoriesBundle labels in your inbox
Create labels & filtersCreate custom labels & automatically add emails

Things I am struggling with.

  • I starred many messages because they are To Do items. I think this would translate into pinning them. 
  • Deleting is more buried then I would like. 
  • I am translating my Gmail skills to the new inbox. 
  • Some functions are still only in Gmail. So you cannot completely cut Gmail out of your life.
  • The iOS app is iphone. There is not a iPad version. 


Overall This is a an email that functions with what emails are better. The organization will take some getting used to. I'll post again as I keep playing. It's more complex than Gmail but I am leaning towards more productive.



LOLZ




No comments:

Post a Comment