Monday, October 27, 2014

What @GoogleGlass connected me to #throughtGlass #Gafe #migoogle

What Google Glass connected me to     
My Story
Last year about this time, I attend MiGoogle conference and listened to Andrew Vander Heuvel talk about his experience with Google Glass.  The innovation of Google Glass inspired me to apply to be a Google Glass Explorer. At that point the program was a closed beta. That means you needed to be accepted in order to be allowed to buy glass.  Currently it is an open beta (meaning anyone can buy Google Glass). Instead of putting my first name on the application, I put my twitter handle @JulieAllThat. Within a week I have an invitation to buy Google Glass. The cost is significant. But the experience of being a Google Glass Explorer has opened doors for me.

What I do with Google Glass
Glass has been great for first person point of view videos. I can video tape my daughter’s whole band performance without the picture dropping down because my hand is sagging. The first person point of view can best shown from this example on my YouTube Channel.  While recording my daughter’s band concert, I was invited to present at Chrysler to their team that works on vehicle connection software. I did present there and had great conversations about technology added vale verses distraction with the engineers.
Glass is also great for being there. I never have to dig for my phone. Email, tweets, texts, and phone calls are right there when I am wearing glass. It’s called heads up display.
One of the best things I do with Google Glass is share it. Yes I present at corporations, conferences, and edcamps but I also pass it around. There’s nothing more powerful than that expression on a student’s face when they start engaging in the technology. When they do engage, we open that innovative thinking to create the next generation of problem solvers.

What can Google Glass do in the classroom?
·         Star Chart gives student a heads up map of the night time sky.
·         Evernote can record a teacher’s lecture for student who need notes.
·         Student’s can record presentations and labs from their point of view.
·         Google Glass can translate text from one language to another.  
·         Google Glass can read QR codes. A student can look at a QR code to bring up more information.
·         Virtual Field trips can be created from a first person point of view to enhance the student’s engagement.

Takeaways
For me it’s not about the device. Google Glass is just a conversation starter for creative problem solving. For moving our thinking into the next step. Wearable technology is a growing field including Fitbits, smart clothing, and smart watches. Our students will be earning a living as adults in a world that moves. They will need to adapt and change with that world.  I came across a post on @teachthought called 7 Habits Of Highly Effective Teachers Who Use Technology. These are more than just habits, they are fundamental job skills for our students.

Learn More:

No comments:

Post a Comment