Sunday, January 17, 2016

When NOT to teach #michEd #edleadership

This week I have been spending a lot of time ( just talk to my family) with my robotics team.  I am a mentor on the strategy team. Saturdays are our work days. What I was reminder this Saturday was that as teacher sometime the best thing we can do is not teach.

The students arranged a meeting when the robotics team room was open and staffed, But I could not be there. We planned our goals for that session and they went off to meet.

When I could show up, the teacher in me want to start teaching. Stop their conversation. Start talking myself. Have everyone listening and focused on me. Start giving directions/instruction.

But I took a deep breath and just stood there for awhile observing. The team was on task with a large part of their project for the day done. I asked some questions so they could bring me up to speed. Gave some targeted feedback on what was looking good and some areas they could improve on. Then let them know I was in there until five that day.

By not teaching those students guided their own project. They worked as a team giving feedback on the project. They learned skills they can apply to any group project and any problem. Some times the teacher just needs to sit back and watching the students learn. I am proud of them.
Image result for student group work
Stock image source https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/MapsAtWork.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment