Friday, December 26, 2014

#Colchat takeaways 7/29/2014


It was so great to run into expected and unexpected tweeps at #COLchat2action. 

 There's an amazing type of learning that happens when you have a room full of a passionate professional that are doublingly  engaged. I say double egagned because I am listening to  and being inspired by great speakers such at @thenerdyteacher and at the same time my head is down engaged on my device in a back channel conversation. That head down device lit  face body language looks disrespectful on it's face value. But it's not. I am activity engaged in listening, inspiration and channeling that engagement into constructed my own learning. Is this learning our students would benefit from? Posssibly. Is this learning we would allow our students? Probably not. 

We say we go to these conferences on our own time own our own dime for connections. And #Colchat did not dissappoint. I ran into all the usual suspects. Geat to see them and hear what's going on in their life. 
But also I put faces to people I have talked to on Twitter. Another awkward face to face moment where I say so nice to meet you to someone I feel that I know well through twitter. 
But also I connected to new people. I spoke with new administrators. I learned about new groups in virtual education. 
And that's what a conference should be. 1. see those you know 2. meet those you know 3. meet new people. 

And then there was the learning. 
I learned about Voice Thread. We can have a read out with our homeschooling students. 
I missed the session on standards based grading - that will have to be home work for me. 
Someone mentioned Glide - some app. I want to figure out that is. 
I want to recommit to blogging. Not  because I want a following but to be reflective in my practice. 
 In Seth's session he challenged us to do some crappy writing. This is mine. I am a terrible speller and the iPad Blogger app does not have spell check - can you believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment